December 22, 2013

The start of a new journey for George

George has never been a very sporty boy. He liked gymnastics when he was littler. He is very strong and has great balance. He swims every summer, mostly at my insistance. He likes it okay, but doesn't consider himself a swimmer. So when he asked me if I could sign him up for a triathalon I jumped at the chance to get him involved in something new, but didn't really expect it to be anything spectacular. Just a fun experience, which it was, but it was also pretty spectacular.
We showed up with signs and were ready to cheer!
We knew he would be good at the swim. He chose to do the beginner tri, since it was his first! It is half the distance of a sprint, so his swim was just 200 meters. Easy Peezy Swimmer Geezy. He was the second one out of the water and we followed him out to the first transition.










He borrowed a road bike from Shana,
he and Kyle went on one ride before the race and Kyle said he did really well but we didn't know how he would do racing by himself, on a course he had never ridden on before...
without his hearing aids, 
since he was so wet still.
 Okay so I was a lot anxious about how it would go.
George just jumped on the bike and rode, and rode fast.

Beckstrands all raced in the races before and after George so they were all there to cheer with us. We watched George ride away and then we waited and waited and 6 miles later we saw a bike coming back and pretty soon I realized it was George....he was in first place! There were not age parameters, so he was racing grown men and women, and kids his own age, and he was in first place!
He had to run 1.5 miles and he doesn't love running, so this was the section I was most worried about, but he kept a good pace and only one very buff middle-aged man passed him (this guy looked like he should have been doing a half ironman, not a half sprint...but whatever)
I know I wasn't around then, but this could be 13 year old Kyle high fiving Lauri.

 We were very proud of George and he was very excited and had a great time.
That is one proud ironman dad.  I see many great bike rides in their future!
When they announced his name as 2nd place overall, he ran down to the stage and back up the hill to us like he was still full of energy!

No comments:

Post a Comment