November 15, 2012

This. is. halloween. halloween.

Nightmare Before Christmas Music in the Background- imagine it, I don't know how to add music!
Halloween is always fun with the Wells' clan since Kyle and Jillyn's birthdays compound the festivities. The festivities were doubly compounded this year with it being Homecoming week at DSC and Andy Shelton and his family coming to town.  It ended up being 6 days of parties!
Andy and Sarah and the kids were coming home from Disneyland and needed to crash at our place so we tried to turn it into a Halloween Holiday party- this doesn't even count as one of the 6 days of partying- but it was a big party, and it helped get me in the holiday mood.
 I made soup and bread bowls and mint chocolate fingers and 100 sugar cookies!  
Penny brought soup too and all the frosting and toppings for a cookie decorating extravaganza!
 This got the festive holiday ball rolling, then we had the week of craziness.

1. Friday:  Homecoming week is labor intensive for the alumni committee.  The alumni open house is this night, we don't have to do too much at it, but we did enjoy the live band immensely.
 









Kyle was in charge of the midnight 5K this year though, (talk about labor intense). It being so close to halloween, we got some of the zombies from Thriller to come and haunt the event.  It was a little stressful for Kyle to be in charge, but it was a very very fun night.  We got Spencer and Shana and Drew and Mason and Mandy and Maycee and George and me and my neighborhood running partners: Keli and Katherine, AND Joel and his brothers  all running this year (Penny and the girls helped direct runners).  Every year I wish it started earlier, but it is a very fun event.
2. Saturday  (A marathon party day -happening on 5 hours of sleep)
We went to the Homecoming parade and got loads of candy for breakfast and had a great morning.
Emily and George got to ride in the parade with the college sponsored swim team they are on.
We went straight to the tailgate party and played for about 45 minutes and then Evan had a soccer game- right there on campus luckily, so I took him over to that, and the others stayed with Kyle and the cousins and kept playing and eating.

Evan really loves soccer, it is fun to watch him- especially when he makes a goal!
After all of that we went to the football game, and nearly fell asleep watching it.  I don't remember the score, I think we ended up loosing it in the end.  
I know Kyle and I did anyway- I don't know about the team.


We would have gone home to a bowl of soup and vegging out in our jammies for the night at this point but we went home and mowed and edged the lawns and everything else that is supposed to happen on a Saturday, got the kids settled with some pizza and headed to the Alumni banquet.  Bruce Hurst spoke and it was nice, but we were running on fumes.  As we were cleaning up they had 5 giant balloon arches gathered up in a bunch and were trying to figure out how to dispose of them.  Kyle asked how they got them in?.... we built them in here.. duh?  oh yeah... then I asked something else that was equally brainless, that I can't remember,  and we all got the slap happy giggles.  We decided we could get those balloons home- I know we were not thinking clearly, but we attempted, and succeeded somehow to get 100+ helium balloons home to our kids.  The neighbors thought we were celebrating the Utes win, but we were so slammed- finding out they had won was a great surprise.


 3. Sunday the 28th On Kyle's birthday, we came home from church and unwrapped presents (of which there were few, because he bought and was wearing all his b-day gifts already).
Circus Afro Circus Afro, polka dot polka dot polka dot afro!


 and then we carved pumpkins while we watched Kyle's new Madagascar movie 
(one of the pumpkins was rotten on the bottom- so we cut the bottom off!)
 
Then later we went to Grandma Sullivan's and sang happy birthday to Kyle and let him eat his traditional birthday lemon meringue pie. 
Over the years I have tried to make festive cakes, or buy decadent chocolate creations, but this pie is all he truly wants.



 I am sure he got a birthday nap in between there. 
 He sure looks good for 39!  One more year of youth ;)




4. Monday night we went to Thriller.  We always gets tickets  because Kyle loves it, and the rest of us join him because we love.... him....and being together, but not really Thriller so much.
Mason loves Thriller- I don't think that necessarily means he doesn't love Kyle....or the rest of us, but you'll have to ask him that! :)
            
Apparently we don't have a picture of the birthday boy.....but he was there :) and he loved it!

 5. Tuesday I thought we would have one day of recovery before the actual holiday came, but the College decided to do their trick-or-treating a day early.  All the college sports teams dress up and line up around the track at the stadium and give us candy!  It was a good dry run for Matty, she loaded up because she didn't know that once they put one piece in your bag you are supposed to walk away.  She just kept standing there looking at them, so they just put more and more in her bag at every stop!  (I am totally doing alien family next year....yep yep yep yep yep yep.)

6. HALLOWEEN
 It was finally here! The day started with the Halloween parade at the school and then straight to Emily's class party (I am the room mom). I made an awesome jack-o-pinata a.k.a pinata-o-lantern.
It took 5 days to make and 5 minutes to bust open and attack.   
Emily made a very cute cowgirl- thanks Penny

Evan was a mummy again- thanks Penny
Matty was a super cute witch after a lot of convincing- thanks Penny

Matty was determined to be a pirate ever since we got back from Disneyland.
-so over a month- I be a pie-yut.  I finally took her to Shana's to try on a pirate costume and then she decided she didn't really want to be a pirate.  This is exactly the reason I avoid buying new costumes! 
Thank goodness for Penny's Halloween costume boxes.
So the party at Em's school was super fun- 4th grade boys are a piece of work, but it went well.

 Then we went to Jillyn's for the next party!
It is a great way for all the cousins from all their different neighborhoods to get to
see each other and play for a minute on Halloween. We were so lucky to have baby Molly this year.
It is also fun for the brothers to show off what horrendous creation they came up with each year.
 Happy Halloween!

 

1 comment:

  1. Great post....it makes me tired just looking back on that week-end but it sure was fun. Cute pictures. See y'all real soon.

    ReplyDelete