What an amazing experience! My first blog (I think) was Kyle opening his Father's day present last June. It was the registration for the Ironman 70.3 in St. George the following May. Well, here we are. He started swimming at Summit and I learned to swim too, to spend that little bit of training with him. Shayne gave us some lessons and he fell in love with swimming. He got a good road bike for his birthday in October and took a few verbal lessons from...everyone that bikes, and he fell in love with biking. All winter he went to Spinner Steve's spin classes and we swam in 35 degree temperatures (the pool was 90 degrees though). Spring came and he was biking Snow's Canyon every week. Notice up to this point I haven't mentioned his love for running.... he says he hates running now that he has discovered biking and swimming! He figured he has run 11 marathons....he knows how to run, and didn't train for the running very much.
Thursday, May 2rd 2013
We went to the Ironman Village so he could sign up. It was quite a process and they wouldn't let us go with him, so Matty and I made signs for him while we waited.
That night after the kids went to bed he set out all of his supplies with their bags and checked everything against it's list and made another list of things he still needed, it felt a little like Christmas. The anxiety was starting to build, but it was good, exciting anxiety, and for that I was very grateful.
Friday, May 3rd 2013
Kyle had graduation at Dixie State University. So while he was gone most of the day I made us some t-shirts to show our support.

He got home about 3:30 and we headed out to Sand Hollow Reservoir to check his bike in. That was an incredible sight and the excitement continued to build.
Kyle's bike placement was awesome....he was just three rows in from the entrance and three bikes in on his row. Pretty good considering there were about 30 rows of 80 bikes.
I think it is amazing that they leave millions of dollars of bikes out by the lake all night long....and then when all the racers are on their bikes, they disassembly these stands, move them to city center, set them back up and the racers put them back on the rack and they sit there out in the open the rest of the day.
He was very excited about seeing the swim route all marked and loved the swimming part the best.
He was also glad he got to see the pro's take off at the beginning. They can swim the 1.2 in half the time Kyle did. I think Kyle is pretty fast. He did the swim in 43 minutes.
Okay but back to Friday..... The IRONKIDS race:
| I think Evan was a little nervous for his run. I couldn't get him to smile. |
They had a great time. I think the girls wish they had participated too, but the boys had a ball and got awesome medals and a chance to be in the spot light for a minute. Evan had me pin his number to the back of his shirt as soon as he got home from school that day. He said he wishes they got to swim and bike just like dad!
| There's that smile! Good job ironkid! |
Saturday, May 4th 2013: Race Day
4:30 a.m. The picture is a little fuzzy because our brains were a little fuzzy this early in the morning!
Made our lists and checked them twice....Each transition bag was ready to go, and so was Kyle.
We were so excited when we saw him coming out of that first water station in Hurricane. It was the first time we saw him and he was so happy, and upbeat! We had a special "water" bottle to switch out and Josh Beckstrand took my camera and got a bunch of great pictures of us.
That good old bike saw him through. The big guys on their fancy bikes flew right past him on the downhills but Kyle's legs and that cannondale passed a lot of people going up the hills...
you can't buy that kind of power!
And off he goes, just 43 miles left!...then 13 more after that.
We were taking pictures of random bikers as we were driving to and from Hurricane and cheering for them. Evan yells out the window "Hey! You're beating my dad!"
He passed by Burgess' house at about noon on his bike and 20 minutes later here he came again pass Burgess' on his last mode of transportation, his Asics.
He felt good, he didn't even want any of my Dr. Pepper, but he still had 12 miles of running (5 of which was uphill) and the sun was really starting to beat down. We are lucky to have such a supportive and fun family to spend our time with.
We waited a little while longer and cheered for a few more people we knew and let the kids play in the shade. We saw John Beckstrand finish and then saw Joel finish, the bike portion, and a bunch of Spencer's neighbors, then we decided we better make it down to the finish line.
We got a pretty good spot on the side lines- well there was only room for Emily and Evan when we got there but then we picked people off one by one and got a pretty big section of fence by the end.
The kids were getting tired and hot and I just kept saying, "think how tired and hot dad is....we can stand here for 10 more minutes for him."
Did I mention the weather? Look at that sky.....there was no wind, it got a little hot by 2 pm but most of the day the weather was just gorgeous. Definitely a tender mercy.
He did it! I was so relieved to see him come around that last corner and that it was a good experience for him. It has been a rough couple of years and this was a great thing to focus on and a fantastic reward for all his hard work. It has really been a wonderful journey for both of us.
This was not his official time. His wave started 42 minutes after the clock started for the pro's, so minus 42 minutes from that and it was pretty close to his real time. 6:34 minutes.
The worst part by far was still to come for Kyle....just looking at this picture will make him queasy. We are sure grateful for Spencer who can help us with his recovery. Three bags of fluids and some Toridol, and he feels great today. We are grateful to Mason too for taking the kids to swim at his house so Kyle could have a restful afternoon. We have a great family. We are truly blessed and felt it in great abundance in so many little ways this weekend. Life is good. Enjoy the journey.




Thank you for this post. I followed him all day on the computer. I hated missing it but it's so good to see such family support. I know this has been so good for him. I remember well his first marathon...anxious moments but such a thrill to see him finish. Congrats Kyle and fam. So awesome.
ReplyDeleteThis was a very good recap for those of us that were not there. What a day! Way to go Kyle and Way to go family for supporting him. What a fun adventure. I really do admire how well you have all come through every challenge you have faced and it this really shows who the victor is. (Does that make sense?)
ReplyDeleteI have spent the last two days viewing pictures and the stories of the Ironman experience from several friends and Kyle. I had been thinking that may be half Ironman wouldn't be so bad. Then I get to the end of this blog with a picture of Kyle hooked up to fluids and pain meds, and I think nah I'll stick to short runs, exercise bike, and swimming pool swims with the kids. Much less painful. Congratulations Kyle on this great accomplishment. I have no doubt it was all worth it.
ReplyDeleteGreat Blog! Wanna do mine.
ReplyDelete