August 28, 2013

The best Subway hike ever!

This is practically a throw back blog, since this hike actually happened like 3 months ago, but school is finally back in session so I am playing catch up.
I have done this hike in Zion 4 times now with Kyle, and it really is phenomenal.  I was the veteran of the females, I think that that gave them some comfort, knowing that if I can do it, they surely can do it. :)  Spencer originally wanted to take the kids, but I protested because it has been so long since I have been, and they broke the kids last time they went.  The stars aligned for me and Shana was the only one that got a permit, and she said she was only going if the other moms were going.  So Spencer, Shana, Mason, Mandy, Kyle and I headed up the canyon.


The only pic we are all in, thanks to Spencer's long arm.




We made it through the forest,  off the beaten path a little, but we ended up in the right spot.

Mason decided he was going to ruin all my pictures today......

I am going to send this out as Christmas cards from the two of us....
 I kept trying to recreate these pictures with Kyle and Mason kept jumping in...you can't tell behind my glasses but I was laughing so hard I was crying and couldn't do anything-  He tried to bomb the next picture of me and Kyle too, but Spencer just pretended to take his picture so he would move.

We have this same picture from 17 years ago...a little older, but still so happy to be spending the whole day hiking together.

 Our first swim.....Shana was not very excited, the water was a tid bit nipply,  Mandy was trying to lighten the mood with her 80's rap music and pop and lock routine.




We tried to stop on the tracks for lunch but some tourists came up on us so we kept moving so we didn't have to wait for them to harness up....


This is where Laynee broke her leg last year.  Kyle did bring a rope this year and sat at the top and helped us down, and then he threw down the pack and scaled that rock like it was a step ladder...it was very impressive.  I left Mandy's head in the corner of the top right pic, so you could tell how big it really was.


 About an hour earlier, Mason was telling us about this poster he saw for this hike with people in full harnesses, and helmets and wetsuits, and he thought how ridiculous it would be to see people actually hiking like that.......and then we round the bend and here they are!


We came around another turn and ran into this....a whole herd of waterproof sheep waiting their turn to be lowered into the canyon, so we politely asked if we could pass them, and shimmied down the tree.... I think at this point they were starting to second guess their attire and the b.s. their guide had been feeding them about required safety measures.



I finally got him back...sorry Mandy!







Trying to get some color on those pasty legs....if only he had remembered his pointer.


We made it!  We look a little ragged, and by us, I mean me; but it was worth the sore muscles.
  It was the funnest day.  
I am very lucky to have great in-laws and to be able to make great memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment