July 11, 2012

Lehi Roundup! TRADITION! TRADITION!




Can you hear the fiddler on the roof in the background?  Because it is Roundup time again and it is something that we never miss.  Kyle tells people it is in his marriage contract.  I love the nostalgia, I love the horses, I love the garden, I love that everyone thinks it is so hot there....and I love to spend an extra long weekend with my family.



It all starts with the horse parade on Thursday night (well it starts on Monday and goes all week, but we get into town every year, just in time to watch the horse parade).  It goes right past my parents home, so all the cousins come to our house and have a potluck and hotdog dinner.  I love the horse parade.  I always pick my favorites, and this year one of the horses almost bucked off it's rider and another went crazy and they had to pull it off to the side and take it's saddle off and so it was a very exciting parade this year as well.   We always go to the rodeo just after the parade.  The rodeo is a big deal.....this isn't Gunlock people, this is National PRCA big time cowboys, and on Thursday night kids get in for $3 (back in the day...kids were free, that is probably why my parents started going!)




















  




 What great pictures!   It was a perfect night.  
Getting ready for the show to start, with beautiful Mount Timpanogos in the background.  
A couple of bull riders got really hurt.  It was an awesome night.  
I always leave hoarse (hoarse....I didn't even do that on purpose....ha ha ha.....)
*******
The next morning I got my turn picking the raspberries.  Mom and dad have a bumper crop this year, every year I think- I guess when you have that many raspberry bushes you always have tons to share.
My kids thought it was the best thing ever, and grandma taught us this great trick of tying the bucket around your waist so you have both hands free to pick! Evan thought it was fun for about 5 minutes.
There were random stalks of peppermint mixed in among the berry bushes and I was telling Evan that you use mint to cure what ails you, then he showed up like this...
notice the leaves crammed into his ears......he said now he would never get sick! 
We  did all feel pretty good after eating loads of raspberries on our waffles for breakfast, and it was a good feeling to be able to bring 5 big freezer bags full of berries home for food storage.

The parades continued throughout the weekend, for the kids it is all about the candy.  I love the miniature floats the wards make, and the bands from all the local high schools.  I like the candy a little too, I discovered a coconut flavored salt water taffy that was delicioso!
See that cute rocking horse behind Matty?  Grand prize winner and it was my mom's ward!  So cute.  See the empty bags in the middle picture...the parade hadn't started yet, but they have this tradition of writing their names on a ziplock so they can complain later when I dump everyone's candy into the candy jar all together.  Evan was very proud of the frisbee he caught, we also got a little ball, 2 pencils, and a XXL t-shirt from some middle school.....it was a good year for swag!

Mom and dad were in charge of their 55th (yes 55 years) high school reunion on Saturday night so we drove up A.F. Canyon with Rogels and played games and roasted smo's. 
Emily was happy to have a girl "cousin" close to her age to play with.  
My cousin Melissa's daughter Laynee shares Emily's birthday (just one year later).

We are going to go up one more time before school starts for more fun and more harvesting! 
I can't wait!







No comments:

Post a Comment