George didn't want summer to end but was happy to get on the bus and head back to school.It wasn't Kyle's official first day of school but he was going to meetings, now that he is the business department chair, he had to conduct his first faculty meeting today, so it was a pretty big day for him too! He didn't get any new school clothes this year though, because he got new exercise clothes (and equipment) instead!

My 4th grader and my 1st grader ready to take the long long trek across the street to school!
My kids were excited to go back, for the most part, and that made it an easy transition too....well easy for some of them! I was out running errands around lunch time and my cell phone rang....the specific ring to my home number. I thought maybe Penny had come to my house on her lunch break, but when I answered the phone it was Evan! This is how the conversation went:
Me- why are you home?
E- I'm done, lunch is over so I came home, where are you?
Me- Evan you aren't done, you have to go back to class after lunch.
E- I DO? Why didn't anyone ever tell me that?
Me- Hurry back down to the playground and find Emily and she will take you back to class.
E- tears...I couldn't find Emily at lunch.....tears....tears...
Me- I will be right there sweetheart, don't move!
I was clear across town so on my fast and furious ride back home I called the office and told Aunt Gaye that Evan was AWOL and to please tell his teacher I would bring him back soon.
I got home to more tears and tried to calm him down and cheer him up.
He was afraid he was going to be in trouble and just kept saying why didn't anyone tell me?
Apparently he thought all he was missing out on in kindergarten was lunch. He didn't even go to lunch recess, just walked himself home!
When we got back to his class his teacher said, "Evan I am so glad you came back." Apparently there was a little girl that had cried for two hours straight that morning so no one really heard when she told them to come back to class after lunch! (later Evan said- yeah that girl was really frustrating).




That's awesome! Not for Evan but a story he can laugh at one day.
ReplyDeleteAwesome post and very appreciated. What adorable grandchildren I have. I, too, feel the joy this time of year brings....now I just gotta get some tomatoe soup cookin'.....
ReplyDelete