January 7, 2013

CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY part 2

Here come the traditions....In St. George it wouldn't be Christmas without the following things:

1. Satan's bumcrack. (I wish I knew the actual name for this hike, I think we should call it Santa's bumcrack, since we only come at Christmas).  This was the first year I have attempted to conquer the crack, and it was scary, but I did it.  Matty did it too for her first time. :)
 
It was a good day for hiking, and although tradition dictates this happen on Christmas eve, the weather was better the day before, but we ended up going twice. (some of us).
Brad and Kyle struggled....and Brad powered through.:)



The rest of the kids ran over under around and through the crack several times.

2. Christmas Eve at Grandma Sullivans
 Santa usually finds a minute to come by and check on our kids and bring them a little something.  He was asking Evan what happened to all his teeth, and Matty wasn't quite sure she liked him at first, but then warmed up to him, when the candy appeared.  Santa knows the way to Matty's heart!
We always have lots of food to snack on, and lots of fun games to play.  I had lots of dishes to do, which suits me just fine.  Christmas really wears grandma out, but we are happy she lets us come.
She always gets us all Count Chocula and some $, a tradition of countless years. The great-grands got matching snow hats and scarves, which was a break from the traditional sweatshirt, but Grandma's elf sure liked it a lot better, and the kids liked them too.
There are sure a lot of us these days, but as long as grandma will have us, we'll happily squeeze in!
Look at sweet Cannon and hilarious Miller! 42-ish pictured and about 20 more absentees.

3. One Grandma's
After Grandma Sullivan's we head to Jillyn's to kill a little more time before Santa comes.  Some years we play candybar bingo, and we did do this, but not until the next night or so.  It was hilarious as any game is, when Mason is playing.  This year grandma gave the kids their presents and we sat around and visited, which was great.
Jillyn revived an old Grandma Rose tradition of  the dollar bill check books- which were a huge hit, just as they were in the past. (thanks Jillyn) It made Shana and I reflect back on the years we got those, and those early years of being Wells'.  They were good years.  It has pretty much gone downhill since then.....I'm just kidding ;), life as a Wells is good and I am so happy to have such fun and supportive in-laws close by. I am glad we get to make a lot more memories together.
We miss Scott, and think of him a lot, during the holidays especially.  He would have endured Grandma's, but he would have loved to be in the dog pile of grandkids, and teasing us parents about the night ahead. 

4. 12th day of Christmas
Every year my mom has a giant stocking full of presents for the kids for us to take home at Thanksgiving.  It has a family gift for 11 days and the 12th day they get to open on Christmas eve just before they go to bed.  Most years it is pajamas, but pillows and pillowcases made it into the rotation again, and not a moment too soon!  New pillows were a much needed gift, and covered with a homemade pillowcase with love from Grandma was a real treat.

NOW GO TO SLEEP ALREADY!

No comments:

Post a Comment