September 11, 2012

Hurrah for Dixie!

This weekend was a wonderful tribute and celebration of Dixie State College.
Friday morning we got to attend an amazing meeting for the dedication of the 
 Jeffrey R. Holland Centennial Commons building.  
The newest, biggest, prettiest building on campus.
Kyle received two reserved tickets to get us into the main building but then he scored another ticket so we could take Grandma Sullivan and we got her in through the back door and onto the elevator so we got seats on the ground level.  We were on row 5 and were so grateful to have grandma with us! Not just because of the awesome seats but she is like a celebrity on campus, so it is fun to be with her.
The whole meeting was just phenomenal, one of the most uplifting and spiritual meetings I have attended.  I was moved to tears more than once, it was also very light hearted.  President Uchtdorf was the keynote speaker and gave the dedicatory prayer.
not the best picture, but I wanted to capture it- he gave such a great tribute to Elder Holland

Elder Holland was overwhelmed by the moment and told of how he refused the suggestion of naming the building after him, but when they explained that it was a student commons building he said.....I am just a common boy from Dixie just like every other student on campus, a common  student with uncommon hope, and I am nothing without you and my Dixie heritage.

Saturday was another great day for Dixie.  It was our first home football game and tailgate party.
I wasn't really looking forward to it, the tailgates are a challenge because Kyle is stuck behind a grill the entire time and it is hot and I just have to try to wrangle the kids but they love it.

Yeah for face paint- I think McKay calls this look BLUE STEEL...

The football game was really good - such a delightful surprise
 after last season..... :)
We have two formidable quarterbacks and 
a great team all around.
I am very excited for the
 upcoming season.

AND WE WON!
the first half was close but then in the second we pulled away and won 24-10!
It was awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment