June 13, 2014

New Zealand

I haven't been to the PCC in a while (meaning like 8 days ;)) but the last couple of times, I had such great experiences with the  Moari people in Aetearroa, or New Zealand as you haoles would call it....that I wanted to dedicate a whole blog to them.

 The kids love playing the stick game, and are getting pretty good at it.  The best part, besided the forced cooperation and patience with their siblings, is that beautiful music that accompanies the game.

 We all love to try out the poi balls.  The Maori girls are amazing at it.  The kids try really hard, and timidly flinch every time it goes wrong......pretty much the whole time!
We are going to make some of our own to practice with when McArthurs come though.

 
 We happen to be there on a very special day when a group of Maori people were visiting from New Zealand.  They always do a welcome ceremony to start their presentation, but this time it was done with these actual Maori people and it was very special, very emotional and very spiritual. This man to the right was acting as the chief and did not have to be prompted on what to do or say.  The little grandma in the front with the cane, also had a part and she got very emotional as she remembered her departed family members.


I love their music, their beautiful accapella is so powerful and stirring.  You want to be afraid but it pulls you in and you want to be a part of it.

The day the Maori's came, at the end of the presentation their leader stood up and spoke again and they all began to sing in Maori, but the tune was familiar and so beautiful. It was "How Great Thou Art" and it was really incredible.  I talked to one of the workers about that experience the next time we were there and he said it was a very special day, and we were lucky to be there. I agreed.

 Matty's got that Haka face down pat!

It seems like a violent and negatively charged group of people, but it isn't, once you understand what they are saying and doing.  The PCC is very entertaining and all the villages are great, but every time I visit Aotearoa I feel the spirit and am lifted.

No comments:

Post a Comment