May 30, 2014

Another beach day with Grandy (Grandma and Randy)


We were determined to get Grandma snorkeling.  She said she liked being on top of the water lots better than being in the water, but Three Tables is the perfect snorkeling beach so we pushed her into it, and she ended up loving it.  We had planned a whole beach day on Saturday after a whole day at the PCC.  Saturday it was raining, but luckily we were just planning on being wet, so we kept swimming.  It rained all day and all day we swam and snorkeled and kayaked and it was a great day, it kept all the locals away, and most of the tourists.  It was all lots of fun quality time with Grandy!

 First- more snorkeling pics, because I love taking pictures of fish, and Jillyn learned to love being under the water just as much as she likes being on top of it.
This was the first time I had seen this fish, he is called an orangespine unicorn fish. 
I love this guy.  He is a bullethead parrotfish and he is over a foot long.

Matty was a little nervous about the idea of fish swimming below her and didn't want to go out where the fish lived, but I finally got some goggles on her and we saw some fish.  She was especially excited to see her humuhumu!

I went out snorkeling by myself, which is a treat, since I am usually on Matty duty (which is also fun) but I can't take pictures when I am fishing with her.  All of the sudden this whole school of Convict Tangs was coming at me! The other fish were the warden fish I guess (ha ha ha!)
It was so fun to follow them, I yelled up at Randy, Kyle and the kids who were boogie boarding nearby and Randy was the only one that came to see them.  It was thrilling.  




 We also took the kayak out for the first time on the rain day.  Kyle and I went out on it at 3 Tables and paddled it all the way to Waimea.  It is a great boat.  Everyone had a blast in that thing.

When we switched beaches, Kyle, Emily and George paddled it over so we didn't have to get it back on top of the suburban.  Kyle and I took it straight out from Waimea until the water got really blue and I got really nervous.
Another awesome foot selfie.  Only 46 and a half miles to go and we will be in Kauai!





 We turned it around and Kyle jumped in.  I took this awesome picture from INSIDE the boat, just sticking the camera under the water.  I love that his reflexion is above him.  I also am continually in awe of how blue and clear the water is.

 Luckily I took the picture before he did this!  A little too much freedom. I am sure I made some kind of remark about his shark bait....
 Redressed and back in the boat, we headed back for Waimea.  It rained on us nearly all day, but if we had planned anything else for that day it would have been ruined.  I saw a big rock jutting up out of the water right in front of us as we were about half way back to the beach and told Kyle to steer clear of it.  He said, that is not a rock, it is a turtle.  It was a big one!  His head was the size of a softball.  They are really fast, finally after 4 failed attempts at getting his picture above water, Kyle stuck the camera under the water and just clicked and this is what he got!


Perfection.  This one is getting framed for the boys room when we get home! Even though this underwater camera has proven itself time and again, I was especially grateful Jillyn brought her big fancy one so she could capture the cliff jumping. (and so I could be in a few pictures too).








 The local boys think they are so cool, hanging out on the rock all day and every time, Kyle impresses them.  This time I think George impressed them too.

They have all become beach bums, okay all of us have become beach bums!






Here are a few more great pictures from another beach day that I hijacked from Jillyn's blog!


We went to pipeline to find some waves and found a seal (or sea lion) instead!  He was awesome and as I was running down the beach trying to get some pictures, Jillyn just took this fantastic one with her giant lens.  He was huge! and awesome!

They did find a few waves too and even though they were few and far between the rush was worth it.









1 comment: