We finally made it. We found out about 3 months ago that we would be moving to Hawaii for 10 weeks at the end of April. I started prepping and wanted to start packing right away. Initially Kyle was in negotiations for this exchange with BYU Hawaii to happen in January and then it fell through and I was so crushed. I wrote a talk about hope, for church and talked all about that experience. Anyway, in the Lord's time it happened and of course, the timing couldn't have been better for us.
I told Matty we were going to Hawaii after we went to Lehi for Easter to help give her a little perspective, and then every day after we returned home, she asked me if we were going to Hawaii that day.
On Sunday morning I went into her room and said- ask me Matty ask me! YES! Today we are going to Hawaii!!
It takes a lot of luggage to pack 6 people for 2 months, but we did really well and jammed 3 giant suitcases to their weight limit and 6 carry-ons and Penny dropped us at the curb in Vegas.
Finally made it through the line for our turn at security. It wasn't as bad as I thought, but it was stressing Kyle out terribly! Matty was very serious about her job of carrying the baggy of liquids in less that 4 ounce containers!
Even the escalators were exciting to them. Emily counted how many we got to ride and I think it was 6. They didn't even know about the tram they got to ride out to the D gates, so George video taped the ride...it was all so exciting.
We got settled in our assigned seats. 4 of us in the middle, the little ones in a parent sandwich, and then the two older ones by the window.
Matty struggled a little with the changing cabin pressure. She kept yelling, "Hello? hello! can anyone hear me? Mom, something is wrong with my ears. Hello?" We quickly bought the kids entertainment package for her little tv screen and she was good to go.
Everyone plugged in (Thank you for the new headphones Easter Bunny!) and we settled in. Only 5 hours and 40 minutes left! Yes, it was a 6 hour flight.
The highlight for Emily was the inflight meal! Another pleasant surprise since there was no meal on her previous flight from St. George to Sacramento a few months ago!
The cookies, I have to agree, were divine. Emily said hers was just too good and she couldn't finish it, so of course I helped her out! My kids will eat just about anything, so they all ate well, George even ate the cooked spinach which he hates. Good kids!
We got to take a bus at the Honolulu airport to the luggage carousels and that completed our travel in every possible way to get to Hawaii. The kids were not impressed by that time though because it was 1:30 am Utah time, they were exhausted.
We finally found the suburban, finally got our stuff loaded and finally got to our new home away from home in Pupukea, Hawaii and slept, a little....until we heard the jungle fowl........








Thank you so much for these posts. I love every picture and every word. Can't wait to join you.
ReplyDelete