May 14, 2014

Makuahine Day

This was definitely the most memorable Mother's Day I will probably ever have.  Every year Kyle is very good at pampering me for Mother's Day but this one was very special.
First Kyle took me to a very early Mother's Day date on Thursday (to beat the weekend crowds).
We went to a beachside restaurant at Turtle Bay called Ole'.  He thought it was a Mexican restaurant but I was so very glad it wasn't once we got our food.
 Turtle Bay is the fancy exclusive golf resort between our house and BYUH.  The locals hate it, but I don't know why because it is very nice.  The beach is still open to the public, which wasn't great, since we got to watch two little naked kids run around while we ate, but it was really beautiful nonetheless and we are standing just steps away from our table in this pic.

 The fish of the day was Opah, and it is officially my new favorite fish.  It is so so good, everything about the meal was so so good.  It was a huge piece of fish too.  Kyle's favorite part was the little ramekin that came with the bread.  It was filled with honey truffle and hawaiian sea salt infused butter.  It was amazing.  I imagined Andy Hunsaker hitting the table as I was eating it.

After we finished our butter, we walked around the resort.  It was very pretty, and quiet and had a wedding chapel just out of this picture where you can get married on the beach. Another picturesque day.

Then Sunday (Saturday gets at least one blog all to itself, but this is about Makuahine Day) we went to our new ward.  We got there just on time, St. George time.  The meeting started about 8 minutes late, and the talking died down about 10 minutes after that.  The Bishop was very friendly and made us feel right at home.
Right after the sacrament they asked all the youth to go out in the hall and they brought all the moms in a real fresh flower lei.  Sorry to all my past wards, but this was the best gift I have ever gotten in Sacrament meeting, and I ended up with two because one sister gave one to Matty.

 The shell lei was from the Relief Society because they give out those to all the visitors.  Matty was the only one that really struggled and I had to sit with her in Primary instead of staying to Sunday School, but this turned out to be a great blessing because I was able to talk to a couple of the sisters serving in primary and get to know them and get some contacts.  George struggled a little, because he is shy, but he was fine, and tonight (it is Wednesday) he went to Young Mens.  He would dive off a waterfall without a second thought (and probably will) but attending a new ward makes him nervous.

Evan got a ukulele the day before and promptly wrote me a Mother's Day ditty:

Penny took her family to Lehi so Grandma and Grandpa could Skype Shayne in Australia with them. Well they set it us so they could Skype us in Hawaii, Andy in Texas, Brad is SoCal, and Ashley Shelton Bonner in Cedar City all at the same time and we were all in Grandpa's TV room together for the first time in ages.  Yay for technology.   It was great to see Shayne, but it was also great to see my mom and sisters too.  I realized we can do this anytime, we don't really have to be completely disconnected from the world for 2 months if we don't want to be...but sometimes, it is nice. ;)


The very last cherry on top of my great day was not a cherry at all, but of course, a pineapple.
A pineapple macadamia nut cheesecake cake from Ted's Bakery.
That is a pineapple macadamia nut cake, so moist and delicious with a layer of pineapple filling and then cheesecake with macadamia nuts I believe, and then more pineapple topping (all fresh mind you) with a macadamia nut edge.  Just Heavenly.

No comments:

Post a Comment